International Eucharistic Congress held in Mdina on April 1913
The 24th International Eucharistic Congress held in Malta between the 23th & 27th April 1913 was the last of its type. It was presided by the Pope's Cardinal Legate D. Ferrata (Pref. S.C. Sacr.) who was ferried to Malta from Syracuse by HMS Hussar, leaving Sicily at 10am and entering the Grand Harbour at 4pm sharp.
The first International Eucharistic Congress was held at Lille, France on the 21st June 1881 following an idea conceived by Bishop Gaston de Ségur. It is a gathering of clergy, religious, and laity from a wide area to bear witness to the real presence of Jesus in the Eucharist, this being a crucial dogmatic landmark of the Roman Catholic Faith. A congress typically involves several large open-air Masses, adoration of the Eucharist (Blessed Sacrament), a solemn procession and other devotional ceremonies held over a number of days.